Mars Explorer has been completed in Monkey X!

FULL SOURCE CODE has been released!

And now… you can play the game right here…

Press FIRE (c, space or enter) to start the game!

 

Here is the Development Log:

09/5/2015 10:00 PM     1 Hour
I started porting my Mars Explorer test game from GLBasic to Monkey X tonight! Tonight, I just got the basic program structure sorted out and coded a good amount of the ResourceManager and diGameManager classes. I spent 1 hour on this.

 

09/6/2015 10:00 PM     4 Hours
Spent 3 hours tonight and made a lot of progress. Finished getting the structure of the program designed. Then I created a code file named common which contains the classes that are basically structs and other things that are common building blocks for the major classes. I also created the PlayfieldManager class.

By the way, I highly recommend purchasing the Jungle Ide for your Monkey X development. I find it makes Monkey X development more productive (and maybe comfortable) than working in the default editor.

 

09/7/2015 10:00 PM     6 Hours
Tonight I updated the GameManager class and implemented the Title Screen and Starting Play states.

 

09/8/2015 10:00 PM     7 Hours

Tonight I focused on my PlayfieldManager class implementing the parallax scrolling.

 

09/11/2015 10:00 PM     9.5 Hours

Since my last update I implemented the PlayerControl and PlayerDisplay classes. Created a constants code module to define key codes, object states and so forth. I also updated the PlayfieldManager adding a method that returns the height of the ground at a certain point. This is used for the player vehicle’s wheels as it moves over the terrain.

I now have the foundation complete and progress should be faster from this point on!

 

09/12/2015 10:00 PM     13 Hours

Tonight I completed the terrain wheel tracking for the player’s vehicle and implemented explosions and rock generation. I also implemented player missiles, checkpoints and acceleration & deceleration for the player vehicle.

Be sure to click on the quality setting in the next video and put it on 480 to see what this really looks like.

 

09/16/2015 10:00 PM    19 Hours

Added aliens & their missiles, particle FX, music & finished implementing the collisions.

Be sure to click on the quality setting in the video and put it on 480 to see what this really looks like.

 

09/17/2015 10:00 PM     21 Hours

Added sound FX, scoring and the stat bar at the top of the screen.

Be sure to click on the quality setting in the video and put it on 480 to see what this really looks like.

 

09/18/2015 10:00 PM     23 Hours

Implemented stage completion and advancement to the next stage, the Game Lost state and Game Won state. Also tweaked things a bit here and there in general.

And at this point the functionality of this game has been successfully ported to Monkey X!

I will probably spend one more hour just cleaning up the code a bit here and there in preparation for releasing the source this weekend. 🙂

Be sure to click on the quality setting in the video and put it on 480 to see what this really looks like.

 

09/19/2015 10:45 AM     25 Hours   —   32 Hours Total

I spent one hour removing a few bugs I noticed during my play-testing over the past few days.

One that should be noticeable was in the explosions. I have an explosion system that manages not only single explosions (used for the rocks) but also chain explosions.

A chain explosion defines a sequences of explosions that fire off one after the other within a specified amount of time. The position of each explosion can be moved a specified distance before the explosion is created. You’ve probably seen this effect before in games where buildings and such blow up and a traveling explosion effect occurs.

This was a very easy fix. The other bugs involved the player crashing and failing to resume play of the current level.

Anyway, I fixed these known bugs!

Then I spent another hour just adding a bit of extra documentation to the source code in preparation for public release later today.

Mars Explorer is now finished in Monkey X!

So… here is the Monkey X implementation of Mars Explorer in 25 hours and about 32 hours including assets (graphics, sounds, music and tile map creation) and creating my audio system and tilemapsystem wrapper.

Ironically, this is nearly  the same amount of time it took to create the game in GLBasic. However, the code is a little cleaner in this version and the game itself is a little better having improved upon the collisions to a degree and fixing a bug or two that may be in the GLBasic version (I really should update my GLBasic if this is the case).

Be sure to click on the quality setting in the video and put it on 480 to see what this really looks like.